It might be too cold to go for a long run outside, but that doesn’t mean you can’t stay in shape. In fact, there are plenty of fun exercises you can do right from the comfort of your home to stay in shape during the winter months. Take a look at these 7 things you can do indoors to stay trim and fit this winter season.
- Exercise DVDs. Sure, it’s a bit cliché, but there are some fabulous exercise DVDs out on the market right now. Choose two or three of your favorite exercise DVDs and it’s like having a personal trainer right in your living room. Do you like Bob Harper? Billy Blanks? Denise Austin? Get the best exercising advice around – and watch your waist line shrink.
- Dance. Sounds simple, right? Turn on some music and just start moving! Dance while you’re cleaning, watching TV, or even playing with your children. You’ll burn calories while having a lot of fun.
- Jumping jacks. Do you have a favorite TV show you like to watch? If so, keep track of how many commercial breaks there are. For example, in a one-hour show, there could be at least six breaks. Every time a commercial airs, start doing jumping jacks. Then, when the show comes back on, sit down. You’ll burn some calories, without missing a minute of the show.
- Mall walk. Become one of those “mall walkers.” You know, the women who wake up before the mall opens and walk around? It’s a great way to get some exercise, while socializing at the same time. Grab a group of friends for an early morning walk!
- Take the stairs. Cold weather or not, this is a great way to get some extra caloric burn in. Take the stairs instead of the elevator at work or at the mall. Anytime you can take the stairs instead of the elevator, you’re boosting your burn.
- Join a gym. If you don’t already have a gym membership, now is a great time to get one. Take advantage of all the different machines and try one you’ve never used before. Who knows, you may even find a new form of exercise you really enjoy.
- Clean your house. Yes, housework is a great form of exercise. Scrub the bathroom floor, vacuum, pick up toys, or dust…all are great ways to get some exercise in.
How will you stay in shape when the weather turns cold?